Seachem has two similar treatments with the Metroplex and ParaGuard. So, can you use both of these products together?
You can find out in this guide at Aquarium Blueprints.
Can you use Metroplex and ParaGuard at the same time?
Seachem doesn’t recommend that you use Metroplex and ParaGuard at the same time unless you absolutely need to.
You should only use one of these products to treat the following:
- Freshwater Ich (Ichthyophthirius)
- Saltwater Ich (Cryptocaryon)
- Freshwater Velvet (Piscinoodinium)
- Saltwater Velvet (Amyloodinium)
If you dose both of these treatments at the same time, then the mixture may end up causing extreme stress for your already sick fish.
How to use Metroplex together with ParaGuard
If you absolutely need to use Seachem Metroplex and Seachem ParaGuard at the same time, we recommend that you mix Metroplex with fish food and dose ParaGuard directly into your fish tank.
To see how you can properly use both medications at the same time, you can try taking the following steps:
1. Remove activated carbon from your fish tank filter if you haven’t done so already.
2. Next, you need to dose Seachem ParaGuard.
For this product, you need to add 5 mL, which is a capful for every 10 gallons or 40 liters of tank water.
3. To mix Seachem Metroplex with your fish food, we recommend using either pellets or frozen food. You will also need Seachem Focus to help bind Metroplex to the food.
Optionally, you may also want to get Seachem Garlic Guard in order to make the medicated food more appealing for your fish to eat.
To find out more about how you can use Seachem Metroplex together with Seachem Focus and Seachem Garlic Guard to created medicated fish food, you can take a look at this comprehensive walkthrough.
Once you are done mixing Metroplex with the fish food, we recommend that you net out the food from the mixture and then add it to your tank for your fish to eat.
After dropping the medicated food in your fish tank and waiting for several minutes, remove any uneaten portions. If you don’t do this, then the food will end up rotting and will make your tank water quality worse.
3. Keep dosing Seachem ParaGuard by the same amount daily for the entirety of the treatment schedule for the specific infection or infections that you are trying to get rid of.
4. You also need to feed your fish the Metroplex-soaked fish food daily for 3 weeks. You can stop feeding them the medicated food earlier if the infection or infections cleared up.
5. Once you are done treating your fish with ParaGuard and Metroplex, add activated carbon to your filtration system. This filter media will help remove any remnants of these treatments in your tank water.