One of the most effective ways to treat Ich and other infections is by dosing your fish food with a mixture that features a combination of Seachem Focus, Seachem MetroPlex and Seachem Garlic Guard.
To find out how you can properly use all three of these products together for Ich, you can take a look at this tutorial from Aquarium Blueprints.
What is Seachem Focus, Seachem MetroPlex and Seachem Garlic Guard?
Before we begin, let’s take a look at what each of these three products do.
Seachem MetroPlex is a medication that will treat Freshwater Ich (Ichthyophthirius), Saltwater Ich (Cryptocaryon) in addition to the following infections:
- Hole in the Head
- Head and Lateral Line Erosion
- Freshwater Velvet (Piscinoodinium)
- Saltwater Velvet (Amyloodinium)
In order to bind Seachem MetroPlex to fish food, you need to use Seachem MetroPlex, which is an antibacterial polymer.
Of course, your fish may be put off by the smell and/or taste of the medicated food mixture. In order to make the food more appealing, we recommend using the Seachem Garlic Guard, which adds a scented smell and flavor.
If you haven’t done so already, you can purchase these three products on Amazon with the following links:
Furthermore, we highly recommend that you use either pellets or frozen fish food with these products.
How to use Seachem Focus, MetroPlex and Garlic Guard to treat Ich
In order to treat Ich and other infections with Seachem Focus, Seachem MetroPlex and Seachem Garlic Guard, we recommend taking the following steps:
1. Put your fish food in a clean bowl or container that can also hold water.
Make sure you add the amount of fish food that your fish is capable of eating in a short span.
2. Add in 1 scoop of MetroPlex to the same bowl or container.
3. Next, you need to add 1 scoop of Focus.
4. Finally, you can add Garlic Guard. You should add enough of this solution in order to completely soak all of the fish food.
5. Afterwards, you can use a clean spoon or another utensil to lightly stir the mixture inside the bowl or container for several seconds.
6. We then recommend waiting a minute or two for the fish food to soak up the mixture of Focus, MetroPlex and Garlic Guard.
7. After waiting, pout the entire content of the bowl or container into your fish tank.
8. After several minutes have passed, remove any uneaten portion of the fish food from your aquarium so that these don’t end up fouling up your tank water.
9. Continue to feeding your fish this mixture daily until the infection clears up or for a maximum of 3 weeks.
10. If you are also treating your fish for Ich, then we also recommend that you add 1 scoop of MetroPlex for every 10 gallons (or 40 liters) of tank water every 48 hours for 28 days. By doing so, you significantly decrease the chances of your fish getting re-infected with Ich.
To see whether or not Garlic Guard can expire, you can check out this article.