You can use the Tetra Whisper Air Pump to output air to your air stone, bubbler and/or filter. To see how you can properly install this equipment for your fish tank, you can take a look at this step-by-step tutorial from Aquarium Blueprints.
1. Before you start off, make sure you have the necessary parts for the installation. In addition to the main air pump unit, this equipment also come with T-valves and air-control valves. Depending on the version of this product, the number of valves you get can vary.
Check valves, which prevent water from getting into the pump through the airline, aren’t included with the Tetra Whisper Air Pump. Therefore, you may need to get one if you are planning to put the Tetra Whisper Air Pump below the water level of your fish tank.
If you are planning to use the pump for multiple tanks and/or control the air flow for more than one aquarium, then you may need to get additional valves.
You will need to get your own airline tubing as well. For the uninformed, the Tetra Whisper Air Pump supports airline tubing that measures at 3/16” in diameter. You should also make sure that the air outlet of your air stone, bubbler and/or filter also supports the 3/16” airline tubing.
2. Once you have all the parts ready, start off by positioning the main air pump unit.
In order to prevent water from getting into, and potentially damaging, the air pump, Tetra recommends that you put the main unit at least 1 foot above the water level of your aquarium. You should also make sure that the pump isn’t directly above the fish tank as it may end up falling into the water if you aren’t careful.
You can still put the air pump unit below the water level of your tank as long as you remain more diligent at not letting any water into the airline tubing. You may also want to add a check valve as an extra security measure.
3. After placing the main air pump unit, you can connect an airline tubing into its air outlet.
If you are planning to install add a T-valve so that you can turn one air-outlet into two air outlets, then we recommend cutting the airline tubing that is currently plugged into the air outlet to around 1 inch or 2 in length. Afterwards, connected the T-valve to the other end of the airline tubing that is connected to the air pump.
If you would also like to add an air control valve to the connection, then you should cut off another small piece of the airline tubing. You can then attach one end to the T-valve and the other to the air control valve.
If you want to add a check valve, then you should cut off another small length airline tubing. This time, you may want to make it a few inches. Attach one end of the tubing to the T-Valve or air control valve and the other end to the airline tubing.
You can also add more valves to the airline tubing connection. We recommend installing the T-valve closest to the air outlet of the air pump. The air control valves should be placed after the T-valves. Finally, the check valve should be the last valve you install in the connection.
Make sure that all the valves in the airline tubing connection stay out of the water in your fish tank.
4. Next, plug an airline tubing into the end of the T-valve, air control valve or check valve. For the length of this tubing, make sure that it is long enough to reach the air stone, bubbler or filter inside your aquarium.
5. Plug the other end of the longer airline tubing to your air stone, bubbler or filter inside your aquarium.
6. Once you have completed the air flow connection, plug the main air pump unit into a power outlet.
7. The Tetra Whisper Air Pump should start vibrating and pump out air from its air outlet. The air flow should be directed from the airline tubing to the air stone, bubbler or filter in your fish tank.
If the Whisper Air Pump does not appear to be working properly, then we recommend that you take a look at our troubleshooting article with this link.